This Cast Iron Chicken Provencal is a flavorful dish derived from the Provence region of southeastern France. Including prep time, this herbaceous, flavor-packed dish is ready in an hour!
Cast Iron Chicken Provencal brings home flavors of France!
When it comes to the Provencal cuisine, three things are a must: olive oil, garlic, and aromatic herbs. Being a French dish, you might be hesitant to try it out because it sounds complicated. But honestly, this is a rather easy dish that will really step up your dinner game!
In addition to the wonderful flavors, this dish is made using one pan and ready in just under an hour. This version features economical bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for maximum flavor, but any cut of chicken can be used provided the cook time is adjusted accordingly.
With that in mind, always cook meat to temperature, rather than by time. Final cook time will vary according to several factors, including thickness of the cut, internal starting temperature, and individual oven variations.
For best results, check with an instant-read thermometer after 15 minutes and adjust final cook time accordingly. (Chicken should be just over 160°F when it comes out of the oven. The temperature will continue to rise several degrees as it rests until it reaches the recommended safe temperature of 165°F).
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Chicken Provencal
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Dry white wine
- Green olives
- Niçoise olives
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- herbes de Provence
- Chicken broth
Tools You’ll Need:
Quick Steps to Make This Dish:
- Season and sear your chicken then remove from your pan.
- Sauté the garlic and shallots until tender. You’ll pick up all the flavor from the browned bits of chicken.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine, scraping the bits off the bottom with a wooden spatula.
- Add your olives, tomatoes, seasoning, and chicken broth to the skillet, allowing to cook for a few minutes.
- Place chicken back in the pan and place in the oven.
- Remove, cover with foil for approximately 5 minutes, and enjoy!
Side Dishes to Make:
- Roasted Broccoli Salad
- Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Tri-Color Roasted Rosemary Potatoes
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small shallots (or 1 large), chopped
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- 1/3 c. green olives, drained and halved
- 1/3 c. Niçoise olives, drained and halved
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 t. capers
- 1 t. herbes de Provence
- ½ c. chicken broth
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large lemon, sliced and then cut into small wedges
Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 425°F.
Add one tablespoon extra virgin olive to a large cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Lightly season chicken thighs with salt and black pepper and add to hot skillet. Cook until the skin is nicely browned and releases easily from the bottom of the skillet, approximately 5-6 minutes.
Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes on the remaining side. Transfer chicken to a platter and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Add garlic and shallot and sauté, stirring continually, for 1-2 minutes or just until the shallot softens and develops some color.
Add the white wine and deglaze the skillet by gently scraping with a plastic spatula to release any browned bits from the bottom.
Add the olives, tomatoes, capers, herbes de Provence, and chicken broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until heated through, approximately 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat and nestle the chicken thighs in amongst the olive and tomato mixture. Transfer the skillet to the pre-heated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads just over 160°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat (but not touching the bone).
Remove from oven and loosely cover the skillet with foil for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 2/27/2021