Chicken Avocado Salad is a light and delicious dish that is quick and easy for any night of the week or a tasty lunch!
Quick, easy, 30 minutes or less meals are all the rage since we’re all running around like headless chickens. Unfortunately, when you’re on the run, your first instinct is to grab fast food, right? I’ve been there, done that. My husband and I went in opposite directions for about three summers and let me tell you, it’s worth every memory made. However, if I’d known preparing delicious meals could happen in 30 minutes or less, we’d been eating a much better diet during those three years!
Today I’m sharing a Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette recipe with y’all. It’s getting hot out there, so I wanted to give you something cool, refreshing, and tasty to fill your bellies (and not with greasy to-go meals or ballpark food!).
Supplies You’ll Want to Have On Hand
- A Non-Reactive Mixing Bowl
A non–reactive bowl is one that allows you to cook or store acidic foods without dissolving, leaching, or otherwise causing contamination .
- A Good Whisk
A good whisk will ensure all of your ingredients are mixed well!
- A Seasoned Cast Iron Pan
I personally cook 99% of our meals in cast iron. CI intimidated me at first, but now, I LOVE it!
If you can get your hands on local honey, I highly recommend it! By “local”, beekeepers typically recommend within a 50-mile radius to receive the best quality for allergy relief. On top of those added benefits, you’re supporting a local farmer and giving back to your community! I love checking out the farmer’s markets in the summer to find sources near us. It never fails that I load up on honey, as well as an assortment of fresh fruits and veggies – YUM!
Chicken Avocado Salad with Homemade Vinaigrette Recipe
- 2 T. honey, preferably local
- 1 T. whole grain mustard
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T. shallots, finely minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 thick-cut slices bacon, diced
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 c. mixed salad greens (lettuce of choice)
- 2 c. grape or cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 large avocados, pitted and sliced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
1. Combine honey, both mustards, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and shallots in a small, non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
2. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, in a large skillet over medium heat until just crispy, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spatula and transfer to a bed of paper towels to drain. Blot off excess grease and set aside.
3. Drain all but approximately one tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet and return to medium heat. (Carefully wipe any grease off the side of the pan with a heavy, damp cloth before returning to heat to prevent flare-ups).
4. Add chicken to skillet and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, approximately 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Add salad greens and tomatoes to a large salad bowl and top with the cooked bacon and chicken.
6. Toss avocado slices with fresh lime juice to prevent browning and add to salad bowl. Drizzle with half the salad dressing and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately on chilled individual salad plates with remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 497Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 599mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 7gSugar: 18gProtein: 44g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 5/8/2019