Discover healthy meals to heal the body (and soul!) this winter! Feel better inside and out through the cold and shorter days of the year!
Winter is finally around the corner, and after a long year of lockdowns and uncertainty, we all could do with some comfort foods and healthy meals in our lives.
Fall and winter are the perfect times to crack out the slow cooker, make some warming soups, and enjoy hearty meals all season long.
But just because a meal is comforting doesn’t mean it has to be unhealthy. Today in fact, we want to share 2 super healthy and hearty meals for you to enjoy this winter to keep your body fit and strong.
Gluten free Chicken Tray Bake
You may ask why we started off with a gluten free option specifically… well, there is a very good reason! If you don’t ever want to learn how hearing aids work during your life, less gluten is the way to go. Foods such as white bread and white rice are full of gluten, and these foods actually make us produce more earwax. More earwax can harbor infections and eventually could cause us hearing loss. So, gluten free healthy meals are a great addition to your weekly routine…
1 full chicken, spatchcocked
1 bulb garlic
⅓ cup butter or margarine
Salt and pepper
1 handful thyme
1 handful Rosemary
1 cup chantenay carrots
1 cup broccoli
1 cup sweet potato
- Start off by mixing the butter, salt and pepper and herbs in a bowl, and rub this all over your chicken. Make sure to get right into every nook and cranny and ensure that the chicken is well seasoned.
- Chop the tops of the chantenay carrots and chop the broccoli into small florets. Chop sweet potato into cubes, leaving the skin on for extra nutrients. Chop the garlic bulb in half and the lemon into slices.
- In a large baking dish, lay out all of the vegetables and season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil. Lay the chicken on top of your vegetables and lay lemon slices on top.
- Bake in the oven at 200C for 40 minutes covered with foil. Uncover and bake for a further 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and falling off the bone.
A Healthy Meals Favorite: Warming Tomato And Basil Soup
Tomato soup is a winter classic like no other; and it is a very healthy addition to your winter menu. Tomatoes are packed full of Vitamin C which plays an important role in our bodies. Vitamin C not only strengthens the immune system, but it also helps produce collagen which keeps our skin elastic and supple, leading to younger looking skin. So, help your skin glow and your body fight off bugs this winter with this super simple soup!
2 tins chopped tomatoes
¼ cup tomato purée
1 large white onion
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup basil
- Chop the onion and garlic finely. Heat up a large cup with oil and sweat onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until translucent
- Add half of the basil, chopped, as well as orange zest, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Take off the heat and add the remaining basil, once cooled blend into a smooth soup and serve with grilled cheese!