Chicken Lanzone is said to have originated at Brennan’s restaurant in New Orleans. This flavorful, naturally low carb recipe leverages a spice mixture of two parts garlic powder to one part each of onion powder, chili powder, and paprika. This version builds on this flavor profile with the introduction of sliced baby Portobello mushrooms.
Chicken Lanzone is traditionally served over pasta to absorb the delicious, creamy pan sauce. For a low carb version, it can also be enjoyed on its own or paired with mashed cauliflower, zucchini noodles, or steamed asparagus.
Ingredients and Tools You’ll Need:
An Instant Pot®, of course! I went with an 8 qt. because we have two teen boys in our house. You can imagine how much our meal portions have had to grow since their appetites increased!
Organic Chicken Broth is always a healthier bet when it comes to recipes. You’re getting a stock created without antibiotics and veggies picked at the peak of freshness.
A good wooden spoon or spatula goes a long way when it comes to your Instant Pot®. When you’re using the saute mode, the wooden spoons help scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the insert. And they add amazing flavor to your meals! This is the set I have — and I LOVE it!
Instant Pot® Chicken Lanzone with Baby Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. paprika
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, butterflied
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 10 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- ½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic
- ¾ c. heavy cream
- 2 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder in a small bowl and stir to combine. Rub spice mixture into each butterflied chicken breast and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and add one tablespoon olive oil once hot. Add seasoned chicken breasts and brown on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as necessary). Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to Instant Pot®, along with sliced Portobello mushrooms. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms develop a nice golden brown color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and gently deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon in the process.
- Turn unit off and return chicken to the pot. Add lid and lock into place. Position the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding a small amount of the hot cooking liquid to it before stirring it directly into the pot. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately with some of the creamy sauce spooned over the chicken and mushrooms. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 650Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 244mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 75g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 6/15/2019