Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a quick and easy appetizer that is perfect for tailgating parties and other informal get-togethers. Just toss all the ingredients into a slow cooker crock, turn it on, and viola! You have a tasty and delicious dish your guests will love.
Tools You’ll Need:
- Slow Cooker – Use a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker to ensure plenty of room for the full recipe.
- Slow Cooker Liners – These are wonderful little things! They make clean-up so easy!
- Shredder Claws – Makes shredding the chicken a breeze!
Spicy (or not so spicy!) Buffalo Chicken Dip
The amount of heat can be adjusted easily to suit individual tastes by increasing or decreasing the amount of hot sauce and jalapeno used. Although the serving suggestions offered below are gluten-free, this tasty dip can also be served with crackers or crusty bread.
My husband isn’t a fan of super spicy dishes, so I like to create a cooler version when it’s for him. When we have guests over or go to football parties, this is a dish that is always a hit. To me, it tastes like buffalo chicken wings dipped in bleu cheese!
If you don’t have chicken breasts for this recipe, canned, chunked chicken also works! We cooked a whole chicken one night and I have also used the leftover to toss into this dish. Nothing goes to waste in our house!
Can this recipe be made in the oven?
Absolutely! Cook your chicken, shred, mix in the hot sauce, cream cheese, mozzarella, half of the sliced jalapenos, and crumbled bleu cheese. Place in an oven-safe dish and bake at 375° F for about 8 minutes. Add more cheese on top and place back in the oven for two to three minutes. Add sliced jalapenos on top and serve warm!
Keep in mind that spicy foods can trigger heartburn by slowing down the digestion rate. In most cases, there are lifestyle changes that can help avoid heartburn. You can use Over-the-counter medications to relive the heartburn or get prescription-strength medications like histamine-2 blockers.
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ½ c. chicken broth, preferably organic*
- 3 stalks celery, very finely chopped
- 2 8-oz. packages cream cheese
- ¾ c. Frank’s hot sauce
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely minced
- 6 oz. crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 1 c. Mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
- 3 green onions, tops sliced (optional)
- 1 small jalapeno, sliced (optional)
1. Season chicken breasts with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add chicken breasts, broth, celery, cream cheese, hot sauce, jalapeno pepper, and 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese to the crock of a 5 or 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or 6-7 hours on low.
2. 30 minutes before serving, remove lid and shred chicken using two forks. Add shredded Mozzarella cheese and stir to
combine. Add cover and continue cooking until cheese is completely melted.
3. Remove lid and garnish dip with remaining blue cheese, sliced green onions, or jalapeno, if desired. Keep warm and serve with celery stalks and carrot sticks.
You may need to add additional chicken broth before serving to achieve desired consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 512Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 181mgSodium: 1303mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 12/28/2019