Upgrade your cookie game with Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies!
Cookies bring a lot of happy memories to my mind. I might be a little biased, but my mom’s cookies blow everyone else’s out of the water. They are perfectly crisp edges with soft centers. Store them for a day or two (if they last that long!) and you still have perfect cookies.
For years, I’ve been trying to master the “perfect” cookie. Nuts always seem to bring them up a notch on the scale; but I have to be careful when using them. My oldest son has a tree nut allergy. This requires extra steps to clean up to prevent cross-contamination.
The Secret to Delicious Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These cookies are perfect for an after-school snack, a lunch box treat, or even for gifting! Add a glass of milk and you’ll fall in love bite after bite. But how do you make them perfect?
The secret to delicious cookies is choosing good walnuts. These tasty little sources of protein add a nutty flavor; but if they’re bad, they can ruin a cookie!
Because of the high fat content of walnuts, if they’ve been stored in a warmer area, be sure to check the quality prior to use. If they are overly-wrinkled, shriveled, or rubbery-feeling, the nuts are bad.
Fresh walnuts will not feel soft nor moist. If they are, do not buy them. They should have a sweet, nutty taste.
My Favorite Baking Tools
- AirBake Nonstick Cookie Sheet – These really help keep my cookies soft and I don’t burn as many!
- Silicone Baking Mats – If you prefer using standard cookie sheets, using these baking mats can help tremendously!
- Cookie Cooling Racks – Easy release and quick clean up!
- Cookie Scoops – The three sizes are great for all of your baking needs.
- ½ c. vegetable shortening
- ½ c. unsalted butter
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 3-oz. dark chocolate bar, chopped
- 1 c. walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and butter with granulated and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Fold in chocolate chips, chopped chocolate and walnuts until thoroughly combined.
- Use a large cookie dough scoop to make 24 balls of dough. Place 6 balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet with 1-2 inches in between each ball. Flatten dough with the bottom of a glass.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Make smaller cookies with a small dough scoop (yields 48 cookies).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 10/20/2019